Monday, March 31, 2008

elderly

Last week I had the privilege to spend an hour at the Village with some friends of mine. They aren't exactly the kind of group that you would expect someone my age to be running around with, yet I found it especially rewarding to be with them.

They averaged approximately 40-45 years older than me and have experienced many more changes in their lives and the world around them, than most people I know. Most (all but two) of them were women.

We spent the time talking about The Word of God in the Book of John. Specifically the 13th and 14th chapters. It was fun to listen to them as we talked about The Lord's Supper and how he taught the Apostles to serve by setting an example for them in washing their feet. These people understood what it means to serve.

I remember thinking as we talked, "It would be good to bring some of the children from church up here to meet these people." Oh we have gone caroling there and have even taken May baskets up to give to them. But I think it would be good to bring the children up and play Bible trivia with them some day. It would be good for the children to see how important the Word of God is to the Elderly, and it would be good for the elderly to be around the energy of the children, if only for an hour or so.

I was especially touched when I read from the 14th chapter of John were Jesus says, "Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also." These people had those verses memorized, and you could tell that the verses had special meaning to them.

Is your heart troubled? Do you have any hope? Memorize these verses. Jesus was talking to those who were close to Him. He was talking to those who believed in Him. Come close to Him. Believe in Him. Know that he has gone to heaven to prepare a place for you.

I'm quite certain that some of the people that were there at The Village that day took great comfort in those words and the promise they bring. What a blessing it was for me to witness that. How about you? Can you take comfort in those words?

1 comment:

miranda said...

that's a great story. I have noticed that very thing when visiting the elderly....oh and good job...I didn' even have to remind you to post :).